What We Reviewed
As part of the TOS Crew, we recently reviewed the CapJaxMathFax program for The Old Schoolhouse. CapJaxMathFax is a math facts program designed to give students practice and drill on addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The downloadable license is available for $29.95 or the CD for $35.90 (plus shipping and handling.)
CapJaxMathFax uses online "flashcards" rather than traditional flashcards. This frees up a bit of time for mom and dad (although in our case, our son (age 6 1/2) preferred that I sit there with him. I'm not sure that he would have been motivated enough to sit there on his own "just for fun".)
However, if I chose a set amount of math facts for him to complete each day, then I know it would be a part of his routine. Perhaps it is something that can be added to his online job chart.
Some "Facts" About CapJaxMathFax
- The goal to reach the Super level is to be able to answer each math fact in 3 seconds or less. However, your child needs to be able to use a mouse or keyboard and they may find that this slows them down versus being able to call out an answer. If this is a problem, you may want to do the program with your child. If they do it independently, be sure to follow up and check your child's accuracy.
- It is easy to check your child's accuracy because you can click on a detailed report. Your child's progress can also be charted on a graph so that you can see how much improvement (hopefully!) is made over time.
- You have the option to choose how many math facts you want per session. Otherwise, it is unlimited (as far as we could tell!)
- If your child is struggling to come up with the answer, they can click on a math table to help them get the answer.
- CapJaxMathFax is available for school and/or group use. For a free trial of CapJaxMathFax, click here. This will help you see if it would be a good fit for your child.
- This program can be used with any child who needs mastery over addition, subtraction, multiplication or division facts.
What We Thought
It's a pretty basic program so it may not truly engage your child's attention. The graphic style isn't my favorite, but that's a personal opinion.
I do like the review that this program provides, especially since our current math program (as much as I absolutely love it!) doesn't provide much math facts drill time.
With summertime approaching, you may want to consider a program like this so that your child stays current with their math. I was just reading today that typically, children lose an average of one month of learning during the summer (which is why so much review has to take place in the fall if you don't keep up with it during the summer.)
Click here to see what my other TOS crew mates think about CapJaxMathFax.
If you have any questions for Cap Jax, he can be reached here.
Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.