I'm so excited to tell you about Emily Robinson from Redeeming Beauty. She happens to be one of my fabulous gift guide participants, but today I have the opportunity to give you a more in depth review about some of her makeup products.
First though, I'd like to give you some reasons why you may want to consider switching to natural make up products if you haven't already.
- "The Food and Drug Administration has no authority to require companies to test cosmetics products for safety. The agency does not review or approve the vast majority of products or ingredients before they go on the market. FDA conducts pre-market reviews only of certain cosmetics color additives and active ingredients that are classified as over-the-counter drugs (FDA 2005, 2010)." source
- "People are exposed to cosmetics ingredients in many ways: breathing in sprays and powders, swallowing chemicals on the lips or hands or absorbing them through the skin. Biomonitoring studies have found that cosmetics ingredients – such as phthalate plasticizers, paraben preservatives, the pesticide triclosan, synthetic musks and sunscreen ingredients – are common pollutants in the bodies of men, women and children. Many of these chemicals are potential hormone disruptors (Gray 1986, Schreurs 2004, Gomez 2005, Veldhoen 2006). Cosmetics frequently contain enhancers that allow ingredients to penetrate deeper into the skin. Studies have found health problems in people exposed to common fragrance and sunscreen ingredients, including increased risk of sperm damage, feminization of the male reproductive system and low birth weight in girls (Duty 2003, Hauser 2007, Swan 2005, Wolff 2008)." source
- "Women put an average of 168 chemicals on their body daily!" source
- "Almost 13,000 chemicals are used in cosmetics, and only about 10 percent have been evaluated for safety." source
Redeeming Beauty truly is a great option for safe, natural make up. I highly recommend it! I really, really love Emily's Mineral Powder Foundation. It goes on well and I like how it looks on my skin. Plus, I can feel safe about what I'm putting on and, therefore, into my body. She has lots and lots of colors to choose from and to pick mine, I just took a picture of my face and sent it to her and she matched the color I needed perfectly.
I also really like her Primer and Settling Powder which is perfect for covering up those shiny spots that some of us are prone to. :)
And while I HATE posting "selfies"...here is a picture of me wearing Emily's foundation and Primer and Settling Powder.
How is Redeeming Beauty Different From Other Companies?
- Emily is a work-at-home mom and her eye shadows are hand-ground by her in a mortar and pestle from her own recipes
- She does it all! Designing, creating, packaging, printing, labeling, shipping--you name it!
- She does not use fillers (like bismuth oxychloride) to fluff her eye shadows to make them look like more is in the jar than there actually is. Her eye shadows are denser and more concentrated. For a direct comparison, Bare Minerals eye shadow is in a jar that is 3x-4x larger visually, but they only have .5 grams in weight (which is half of hers!). And, it takes 4x-5x the amount to create the same look compared with Emily's.
- All of her products are more velvety in texture and highly concentrated because she does not add filler powders
It's important that we are proactive about what we put on our skin which is our largest organ. We often don't think about our skin absorbing things into our body, but it's true. Just think about nicotine patches for example. I hope that, for your own health safety, you'll reconsider your skin care products. Redeeming Beauty is a great place to consider some alternatives.
And since we're talking about skin care today, I have to tell you what a dramatic difference Juice Plus+ has made on my skin. I have struggled with acne for YEARS and only recently have been able to keep it somewhat under control with the Oil Cleansing Method for Acne. But now?? My skin is completely cleared up and I've been using Juice Plus+ for about 2 months. The difference is dramatic and I'm so thrilled to FINALLY be acne free.
I want to make sure you know, too, that one of things we can do for our health is to focus on making healthy food choices. This helps counteract the chemicals we come across inadvertently through things like cosmetics. While it's super important to eat healthy foods, we won't (and can't) make perfect food choices. That's where Juice Plus+ comes in. Juice Plus+ is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 30 different fruits, vegetables and grains.
Juice Plus+ "helps bridge the gap between what you should eat and what you do eat every day. Not a multivitamin, medicine, treatment or cure for any disease, Juice Plus+ is made from quality ingredients carefully monitored from farm to capsule to provide natural nutrients your body needs to be at its best." source
That's why I'm thankful our family started using Juice Plus+ to help bridge the nutritional gap. For more information about how to get 30 fruits and veggies into your diet on a daily basis, click here. Psst...did you know children ages 4+ can get Juice Plus+ for free? It's easy and no strings attached!
Thanks so much for visiting Purposeful Homemaking. Stay connected so you don't miss a thing:
My eBooks: A Wife's Guide to Studying Proverbs, Topical Devotions for Pregnancy and Early Potty Teaching.This post may involve product that was received in exchange for a review or contain affiliate links for which I will earn compensation should you choose to make a purchase. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. Thank you for your support of Purposeful Homemaking.