As I was reading the following passage this morning I remembered some notes I had taken and thought I would share them with you. I hope you can use them too. The notes came from a devotional the teens at church received from summer camp at Northland International University.
Galatians 5:22-23 NLT
"But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law."
And here are the definitions of the Fruit of the Spirit taken from the camp devotional:
- Love: selfessly & sacrifically serving one another.
- Joy: found in a relationship with Jesus; the peace of eternal security, control of divine sovereignty, and the promise of spiritual victory.
- Peace: well-being & rest of soul that comes from being rightly related to God & others.
- Longsuffering: showing patience towards others because of God's patience towards us.
- Gentleness: a gracious, kind, caring attitude towards those around us--even when we are sinned against.
- Goodness: a spirit of generosity; the Spirit in action.
- Faith: being faithful; loyal to others because we are loyal to God.
- Meekness: submitting to God-given authority or God-ordained circumstances. (Involves humble submission & a teachable spirit)
- Temperance: self-control over inward selfish desires (including areas of personal time, inward thoughts, eating habits, financial planning & our tongue.)